With the introduction of cordless tools, DIY work has been made easier than ever regardless of whether you like doing bits and bobs around the house or you spend your life building and constructing. With the cordless screwdriver, this is no different. No longer do we have to fight away with a screw in the wall because we have electric power and simple science to do it for us.
This being said, there are several options on the market and this leaves both beginners and experts alike somewhat confused. Today, we’re going to help because we have eight of the very best cordless screwdrivers. After listing some key features, we’ll discuss why you should consider each model in turn.
However, we don’t just want you to take our word for it; instead, we want to show you what to look for in a cordless screwdriver which is why we’re going to finish with a buying guide. Without further ado, let’s get started!
#1: Ryobi 4V 1.5Ah Screwdriver
- Compact and lightweight
- Designed for light screw driving applications
- Simple screwdriver bit changes
- Adjustable 12-position torque settings dial
- 30-piece bit set
- Forward/reverse gearbox
Today, Ryobi is one of the most reliable manufacturers in the market which makes this device a great place to start. When you choose this model, you get everything you could possibly want and need to get started from a ‘complete accessories set’ to torque settings and LED lights. What’s more, the quick-change feature is perfect if you’re working with the screwdriver for different tasks throughout the day.
Weighing under half a kilogram, the unit is certainly lightweight and the ‘gripzone oversold technology’ means that your hands should feel comfortable even after extended use. Ideal for building cupboards and completing light tasks, Ryobi is certainly a reliable choice.
#2: Bosch PSR Select Cordless Screwdriver
- 3.6V lithium-ion battery
- Quick-change system for bits
- Perfect for light tasks
- Versatile and easy to use
When it comes to home appliances and tools, Bosch has long-been a leader in this market which means we can have confidence in the brand. Not only does it mean we can trust the product, we also have a fantastic customer support system to rely upon just in case something happens to go wrong…although unlikely with this particular cordless screwdriver.
All things considered, the PSR Select is versatile for all those small jobs around the house and incredibly easy to use if you’re a beginner with this type of tool. Rather than feeling bulky to the point where the shoulder aches at the end of a long day of use, this Bosch model is light yet impressively durable. According to the manufacturer, a fully-charged battery should allow for 90 screws while the 210rpm speed means you won’t be hanging around once you’ve started.
In terms of the design, Bosch has clearly put a lot of thought into the model boasting features such as the illuminated window to select individual bits, the battery status icon, Bosch ‘SoftGrip’, and an LED ‘PowerLight’.
#3: BLACK+DECKER Pivot Screwdriver
- Three-position pivot handle
- Ergonomic design
- Forward/reverse slide switch
- Spindle lock
- 3.6V lithium-ion battery
- 18 months idle battery life
Just as we saw with Bosch, BLACK+DECKER is a well-known name in the industry which means you can already believe in a trusty and reliable device. Luckily, the manufacturer has delivered for the brand name with this nifty little screwdriver.
How can we start anywhere else when the unit offers a three-position pivot handle? Depending on the task at hand, you could have the screwdriver in the classic ‘drill’ position or even as a traditional screwdriver by flattening the handle (making the screwdriver into a pencil shape).
Thanks to this function, the screwdriver has many functions. Suddenly, you can use it in tight spaces such as the inside of a cupboard. If you want to act with care, simply pull the handle into the streamlined position and use the device manually. Compared to the bulkier cordless screwdrivers on the market, this one from BLACK+DECKER will work almost anywhere.
Moving away from the handle, it comes with two screwdriver bits. Although this is considerably lower than the two models we’ve seen so far, it doesn’t matter too much if you have bits already or are happy to invest a little more. With the spindle lock mechanism, this provides fantastic control when using the device manually. Finally, the battery lasts for 18 months when idle which shows the efficiency of the unit.
#4: Bosch IXO Cordless Screwdriver
- 3.6V lithium-ion battery
- Micro-USB charging system (three-hour charging)
- Integrated spotlight
- Forward/reverse action
- Storage for transportation
- 10 standard screwdriver bits
With the next product on the list, we make our return to Bosch but this time for the IXO Cordless Screwdriver. Just as we saw with the PSR Select, it runs off a 3.6V lithium-ion battery and the features are plentiful. If you heard this name many years ago, it isn't because the model is old. Instead, Bosch is actually now selling the fifth generation of the IXO device.
With more features and accessories than ever before, you can enjoy ten different screwdriver bits as well as a micro-USB charger. The latter means that the battery can charge within just three hours and, when coupled with the efficient battery, offers more power and an increased running time too. Compared to the previous model, which took five hours to charge, this is a big improvement and one of the main reasons why this one has already seen great success.
In addition to this, the aluminium case allows for safe transportation. Even if you happen to drop the case down the stairs or onto the garage floor (we don’t advise it, of course), everything inside should remain in mint condition and this is a great feature to have. According to Bosch, this device is for ‘Little Big Moments’ while being robust, powerful, and lightweight in nature.
#6: WORX WX252 4 Cordless Screwdriver
- Extendable shaft
- Convenient and easy to use
- Six standard screwdriver bits
- 4V lithium-ion battery
- High performance and reliability
- 12-month idle battery life
Although the brand name is a little less known compared to some of the other models we’ve shown here today, the WORX WX252 is still a fantastic product for many different reasons. To start, we want to look at a unique and clever function in the extendable shaft. If your traditional screwdriver doesn’t provide the reach you need, this device uses an auto-lock track so you can slide the switch until the device is the required length for the task in mind. If you’re working in the dark, it’ll also offer an automatic LED light.
If you find yourself regularly working in tight spaces such as cupboards and closets, this screwdriver makes for a great companion. Since there’s a battery indicator, you’ll soon know when the battery is running low which saves you from starting a job and running empty half-way through.
In terms of logistics, you’ll receive six standard-size screwdriver bits but all 1/4” hex bits will fit just in case you find yourself working on a special project. As you’ll see, the screwdriver is compact and this means you can get into the tightest of holes and still work with efficiency which is something many customers love. Don’t forget, if ever required, you also have the extendable shaft for those hard-to-reach screws too so you really have the best of both worlds.
#7: Terratek 3.6V Cordless Screwdriver
- Compact handle
- 180rpm motor
- Rechargeable in quick time
- 12-month guarantee
- 102-piece accessory kit
- 3.6V lithium 1300mAh
- LED work light
For our penultimate suggestion, we’re going to go with the Terratek Cordless Screwdriver because we like the simplicity and we also like the flexibility. Starting with simplicity, the LED work light allows the device to be used regardless of the occasion and the soft handle makes it comfortable to use. If you’re building multiple cupboards or units, sometimes electric devices can start to feel heavy and cumbersome but the handle has been carefully-designed to remain comfortable while also allowing the user some control.
For flexibility, it comes with an accessory kit with 102 different pieces; if this doesn’t scream out ‘a tool for every occasion’, we don’t know what does. With a selection of Hex, Spling, Phillips, Pozidriv, Spanner, TX bits, and more, you won’t ever be left needing anything else. If you aren't careful, you could end up being the DIY expert for the whole street.
Sometimes, manufacturers can pull away from the basics when they offer so many accessories because they try to cater to everybody’s needs. Luckily, this isn't the case with Terratek (hence its position on this list!) and you can enjoy the forward/reverse functions, charging time of as low as three hours, and torque of 2.5Nm.
#8: VonHaus 3.6V Cordless Screwdriver
- 3.6V lithium-ion battery
- Accessories and storage case
- LED working light with power display
- Multitude of different driver bits
- Two-year manufacturer warranty
- Twistable handle
Finally, we have a cordless screwdriver from VonHaus and this is another we really love. Why? Because the features offer everything you didn't know you needed in a screwdriver. For example, the handle is twistable which, at first, you might think is just an attempt to look fancy. Then, you see it in action and realise that it actually makes it easier when operating within tight spots. Rather than feeling restricted and having to complete a task manually, you simply twist the handle and continue.
After this, it also comes with a plethora of different driver bits just as we saw with the Terratek option; this includes the flat head, cross head, imperious hex, metric hex, tri-wing, spanner head, wing nut, security hex, security torx, robertson, and more. In terms of numbers, these driver bits work at 210 rpm, max torque reaches 5.0Nm (double the Terratek), and the device should charge in around three hours.
When completing jobs around the house, this quick-charge screwdriver will definitely come in handy. Whether it’s flat-pack furniture or a simple shelf for your child’s books, bits can be changed quickly thanks to a ‘rotating quick-release chuck’ and the LED light makes it possible to work in dark corners and inside small cupboards.
Buying Guide for Cordless Screwdrivers
So, with our suggestions, you now have a solid starting point for some of the best cordless screwdrivers in the market. As stated earlier though, we want you to be in a position to buy the best screwdriver for your own needs rather than relying on our recommendations which is why we’ve compiled a buying guide to finish. Here, we’re going to cover all the considerations you need to make when buying a cordless screwdriver. After reading, you should be in a better position to judge our recommendations and choose one for your needs!
- Battery Life - Firstly, the battery life on the device is extremely important because it adds to the reliability of the product. If the battery life is short, you never really feel comfortable with completing prolonged tasks. Instead, you’re always wondering when you’re going to need the charger. When using the screwdriver away from home, this means you also need to bring the charger even after charging the previous night. Today, the most popular option is lithium-ion since these are durable and environmentally-friendly. In addition to this, the batteries are compact and can generally recharge in good time. Although you’ll also find NiCad batteries, these will normally require longer to charge and this steers many people away.
- Function - What sort of tasks do you need to complete with the screwdriver? Ultimately, this is one of the most important questions you can ask. If you only need it for small DIY jobs around the home, a compact screwdriver will be affordable and we’ve already seen plenty of examples above. If the cordless screwdriver will be used professionally on more heavy-duty projects, you’ll need to consider the voltage and power. To drive in the more industrious screws into demanding materials, the screwdriver needs some power behind it. Generally speaking, these screwdrivers will be a little more expensive but they’ll also be more reliable and strong enough to cope with more demanding tasks. If you decide to risk a cheaper investment, you might find it lacks the power and this is where many make the same mistake.
- Power - While on the topic of power, household tasks will require nothing more than a 3V or 4V battery. If you choose anything higher than this, it’ll be tough to control and you might end up having a few accidents. If the material is weak and you’re coming at it with too much power, it may just crack or even shatter. For those who use screwdrivers every day on tough materials, the market offers options of between 12V and 14.4V. So long as you consider your needs when deciding on the right screwdriver, you won’t go far wrong.
- Size - Affecting comfort, efficiency, and portability, the size of the model is important. While some fit nicely into a coat pocket, others will require a carry case so keep this in mind. Of course, the smaller units are designed for small jobs whether this comes from fixing hinges or hanging TV brackets. The larger the model, the heavier it’ll be and the larger tasks it’ll take on without any real problems. These days, manufacturers are inventive and this has aided the design of screwdrivers. In our list of suggestions, we showed screwdrivers with twistable handles as well as others with a three-position design so it’s easier than ever to find a device that offers the right power while remaining ergonomic in design.
- Grip and Spindle Lock - Much like a cricket player with their bat, you need to feel comfortable with your screwdriver. If you don’t trust the grip, this can lead to accidents so the grip and spindle lock are two important features. With a high-quality spindle lock, you don’t have to worry about the driver bit moving. Meanwhile, the grip will make the screwdriver feel comfortable in your hands and this allows for more purchase.
- Speed and Torque - With the speed and torque, these determine the impact generated when you push the trigger/button on a cordless screwdriver. Essentially, the word ‘torque’ defines the force generated in order to get the screw into place. Of course, the speed then describes the pace at which the action is completed. Measured in rpm (revolutions per minute), light tasks will never normally need anything above 180-200rpm. As the speed and torque increases, your screwdriver will be capable of heavier tasks.
- Screw Types and Chuck - How easy will it be to attach and detach different screwdriver bits? Well, this will be decided by the quality of the design along with the chuck. If you find yourself needing various bits over the course of the day, find a device that offers quick-changing abilities because this will shave minutes off your day. Instead of fiddling every time you need to change (or even avoiding a change because it makes your day more difficult), a quick-change model will be far more efficient.
There we have it, your complete guide to cordless screwdrivers. Considering the investment for a device such as this can be small, cordless screwdrivers make those dull tasks easier and, dare we say it, even fun. With the right tool by your side, you’ll be fixing cupboard doors, building TV stands, and affixing things to the wall in no time. After all those years of having jobs you ‘really should do’, a cordless screwdriver provides you with everything you need to get them done (finally!).
When buying, remember the considerations we’ve listed and ensure the device is perfect for YOUR needs. Although listening to the advice of your friend can be incredibly useful, they may have different needs to yourself so be careful. Once you know what you need, take a look through our eight recommendations because they really are some of the best cordless screwdrivers around!
Last update on 2020-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API